Avatar-MUTEK Residency 2024
Avatar and MUTEK are keen to receive proposals for projects involving experimental sound practices such as the exploration of instrument hijacking or invention, modular synthesis, circuit bending or the development of software and electronic interface programming. The residency includes a performance at the 25th edition of the MUTEK festival, to be held in Montreal from August 20 to 25.
Only projects that fall within Avatar’s mandate will be considered. This call for submissions is open to artists of all origins, residing in Canada. Only solo artists and duos will be considered. The selected artist or duo will be welcomed in residence at Avatar, in Quebec City, for the creation of a performative sound art piece. The work must be finished, in progress or to be finalized. Completed works will not be considered for this call.
Extended deadline: November 19, 2023
Residency conditions offered by Avatar:
- Production fee: $2,300.
- Residency period: July 29 to August 22, 2024.
- Location: Avatar, Méduse, Quebec.
- Lodging and per diem for artists from outside Quebec City.
- Transportation covered up to $1,000.
- Technical support: 30 hours (before and during residency).
- Access to Avatar studios and equipment.
Presentation conditions offered by MUTEK :
- MUTEK offers optimal conditions for artists. The exact location and date of the performance will be determined (August 23, 24 or 25) by the programming team according to the work created. MUTEK takes place in Montreal from August 20 to 25, 2024.
- The artist will receive distribution rights according to the festival’s rates.
- Transportation and lodging are covered for artists from outside Montreal (duration depending on performance date).
- Each artist receives professional accreditation for the MUTEK festival.
MUTEK Montréal is celebrating its 25th anniversary with a unique Anniversary Edition from August 20th to 25th, 2024!
A quarter of a century pushing boundaries, igniting creativity, and passionately embracing electronic arts.
Interested artists are invited to complete the form, providing the following:
- a bio and CV (max. 4 pages),
- a project description (1200 words max.) or a short video (4 mins max.),
- your project timeline,
examples of previous work (YouTube, Vimeo, web links, jpeg or pdf files attached),
- documentation and/or sketch of the proposed project (YouTube, Vimeo, web links, jpeg or pdf files attached),
- your technical needs during the residency and for broadcasting.
Only the selected artist or duo will be contacted, by the end of 2023 at the latest.
Your application must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm on November 19, 2023.
For any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org / 418 522-8918 ext. 2
Avatar is dedicated to the research, creation, production, dissemination, publication, and circulation of audio and electronic artworks and artists.
To support creation, Avatar organizes projects, invites artists, reflects on practices, and encourages new collaborations through local and international networks. Located in the heart of Québec City, Avatar offers a venue for interactions and initiatives, explores new artistic terrains, and provides access to equipment and specialized skills.
Since its founding in 1993, Avatar has been an innovator in audio and electronic arts research in North America. At Avatar, audio and electronic creation covers a broad range of activities, including the creation of listening devices, the invention and circuit bending of instruments, sound installation, performance, radio art, and sound sculpture. Audio art crosses the fields of music, visual arts, and poetry and is open to hybrid forms of audible performance, sound excavations, and acoustic environments. Avatar also develops programming of custom-made software and electronic interfaces, as well as interactive and kinetic installation systems and telematic works.
Avatar hosts artists, researchers, thinkers, hackers, and students, listening to their needs and adapting itself to support the most unconventional artistic dreams.
1/ The Bionic Harpist - crédits: Bruno Destombes | MUTEK Édition 21
2/ Ida Toninato & Pierre-Luc Lecours - crédits: Frédérique Ménard-Aubin | MUTEK Édition 22
3/ Olivia Lathuillière - crédits: Frédérique Ménard-Aubin | MUTEK Édition 23
4/ Joël Lavoie & Guillaume Vallée - crédits: Vivien Gaumand | MUTEK Édition 24